Pages

Friday 29 July 2016

IF ONLY IT COULD ALWAYS BE LIKE THIS

Usually everything "fun" in my life is organised to coincide with something else, and more often than not that " something else" is medically related. Part of that reason is that most of the things I classify as fun are in the city, a 4 1/2 hour drive away. While it's understandable, it's also a bit unfair because it means you're constantly waiting for the next incident or appointment, to squeeze in the latest musical, a get together with friends or a football match.

This week we turned things around a bit. For a while now my daughter and I had been talking about flying to Melbourne on the east coast of Australia, to watch our favourite football team in action. So, this year we finally did it. We finally planned something because WE wanted to, in a time frame WE wanted. Ironically of course there had to be a medical appointment in the days leading up to our trip. But, this was actually organised around our trip for a change. It might seem that I'm excited about nothing to some people, but when you have Cowden's syndrome so much control is taken from you, that any control you can have on your life becomes quite empowering.

Anyway the medical appointment was to
Passing time waiting for the doctor
check up on Ashton's thyroid, because she has a multinodular goitre that has to be monitored. Cowden's syndrome also carries an elevated risk for thyroid cancer, so regular checks are important. I lost my thyroid back in 2007 and with it any dreams of being a singer. Luckily I had none!

I'll talk more about her thyroid in a future blog post. Let's just for the moment say it's big, it's ugly, it's fascinating. So much so, that as they were ultrasounding her thyroid, no less than four doctors stood there mesmerised. Ashton got a bit touchy about this. She's quite protective of her organs.

Anyway, enough about thyroids for a while. This post is about making time for fun and scheduling it in if you have to, so I want to tell you a bit about what we've been up to in Melbourne.

Today we visited DFO South Wharf (shopping outlets), the Emporium ( more shopping) and Melbourne Central ( you guessed it...more shopping). Melbourne has a brilliant food culture so of course we ate great food . This includes my first ever chicken dumplings and the best curry puffs I've tasted in years. I've also ticked two things off the bucket list - macarons from Zumbo's and afternoon tea at Brunetti. Let me just tell you that the Nutella macarons and Italian strawberry biscuits with chinotto ( an Italian soft drink) are to die for. We ended the day with a drink in the bar after which Ashton left to go out with a friend and I left to tuck myself into bed with my iPad.
Was yummy


Miss Ashton relaxing with a beverage


I don't ask for much! Nice food...good coffee...that's all!

I'm absolutely exhausted and my feet ache, but there's a happiness with it all that has come from not thinking of lumps, thyroids or brains for a while. We've simply enjoyed life AND there is still tomorrow to come.

If only it could always be like this!

Till next time...xxx

12 comments:

  1. Great post, I'm so glad you got to enjoy the time! It sounds like you had a fab time.
    Thanks for linking to #PoCoLo - sorry for the delayed comment.
    PS: Lovin the new look blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Morgan, still in Melbourne having a ball!

      Delete
  2. Nothing better than a Mother/daughter outing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would be perfect if daughter number 2 was here too! Oh well.

      Delete
  3. Great that you got to plan something you wanted to do and on your own terms too. Sounds like a great trip! #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Upside Mum. It really made me happy to have some control!

      Delete
  4. So glad you had a wonderful day with your daughter! Those are the best! Thanks for sharing with #overthemoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am right there with you! It's all about enjoying life!! Thanks for joining us again on SEASONAL BLOG HOP JOY!~*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the emporium, just has so many awesome shops, and some yummy food places. Zumbo has the yummiest macaroons #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be funny for you to read about places you know so well.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great time - glad you had fun! The macaroons sound lovely!

    Thanks so much for joining us on #FridayFrolics. Hope to see you next time

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only... SO very glad you got to spend some FUN time together. We are trying to practice here as well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...