Pages

Wednesday 27 May 2015

I AM NOT A CHOCOLATE BALL

There are times when I don't care about any of the statistics linked to this blog and there are times when my interest is piqued. Yesterday having nothing much to do except lie around nursing a cold,  was one of those days.

Now, before I carry on, let me share a bit of my background. I was born in the UK. I spent some of my childhood living in Malta ( my parents are Maltese) and since the age of 9 have lived in Australia. I am a naturalised Australian but the husband calls me  a " Pommy Maltese" or " a highly strung wog", depending on the conversation.

In reality therefore I can identify with three countries - Australia, Malta and the UK - and have always considered myself to be a blend of Australian, Maltese and English. There are some problems of course but these are easily fixed. If Australia plays England in the cricket, I'm Australian. If Australians talk about getting rid of the monarchy, I am outraged on behalf of the royal family and I have spent three quarters of my life advocating for Malta. I am not a Malteser (see picture above), no its not the country where Maltesers are made and yes IT IS  a real country even though it still doesn't show up on many maps.

So being loyal to all three countries ( as it suits me of course), is it so much to ask for that loyalty back? I THINK NOT (fist smacked on table in indignation).

Which is where we get back to the blog statistics. Take a look at my top ten counties in all the time since I started blogging:

EntryPageviews
Australia
27789
United States
15745
United Kingdom
1976
France
1935
Germany
1554
Ukraine
817                                                                                                               
Russia
613
India
536
Malta
442
Canada
416

Australia first. UK third.
Notice something Malta???????
What's going on Malta???? NUMBER 9?????

Now firstly I would like to thanks my aunts who have obviously looked at my page 442 times. Good job ladies, well done. Love you lots.

But considering my readership is full of Maltese names, I expected better support from my native country. Here are my reasons why you should support me:
  1. As I said I've spent my whole life convincing Australians that you are more than chocolate balls and that by default I AM NOT A CHOCOLATE BALL.
  2. I would have voted for the Maltese song if it had made the finals in Eurovision. I would...promise.
  3. I make figolla for Easter.
  4. I have loyally suffered through countless projects on Malta by my children. (Sorry, did I say suffered - I meant enjoyed every minute).Look at all the free advertising you've received. Honestly, how many Australians would really know where Malta is if it hadn't been for my efforts?
  5. I read my uncle's blog in Maltese - ha! That's loyalty for you. It's in Maltese. It takes me ages but I do it....ha!
  6. I am slowly training these Australians that if you want to serve shop bought pastizzi, they need to be cooked till they're crispy brown. I also engage in many conversations with them about how chicken in pastizzi is a national disgrace.
  7. I drove on your roads with my family and after ten years, therapy is ending soon.
  8. I didn't do anything nasty to the shop assistant in Malta who ignored me and kept talking to her boyfriend on her mobile OR to the tourist guide who told the tour I was on, that he was taking us to see the statue of the fat lady and then pointed to me and said " not this fat lady...another".
  9. I constantly encourage friends to make Malta part of their Europe itinerary.
  10. There will always be a part of my heart that is just Maltese.
Sliema, Malta by night

So, consider yourself warned Malta. You have hurt my feelings but you have time to fix this all up. Top five next time OR ELSE!!!

Till next time....xxx


The Blue Grotto
I think I remember walking through here on the way to school


Just beautiful!

6 comments:

  1. Malta looks stunning!


    Thanks for linking up to #justanotherlinky Hope too see you again Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing such a great post with us a #WednesdaysWisdom I've never been to Malta but it looks lovely. I look forward to your next post in #WednesdaysWisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. It was a little tongue in cheek!

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of Malta, but I am sure your message has been received... they have been WARNED :P I understand your frustration I'm Canadian and my US views more than double Canadian views. Great views by the way, keep up the great work! Thanks for joining the Link-It To Me Link Up Party, hope you will party with me again next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rajasthan Patwari Recruitment 2015

    I go to see everyday a few web pages and information sites to read posts, however this blog gives quality based articles........

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...